Re: ntpd as ntpd user question

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 11:23:37 -0700
On 07/21/2018 10:14, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-07-21 at 10:11 -0700, Pete Wright wrote:

>>> You say you created an ntpd user/group, that seems to imply you
>>> didn't
>>> run mergemaster (which would have done that). If that's the case,
>>> you
>>> probably also didn't get /etc/defaults/rc.conf updated, so it still
>>> has
>>> the old ntpd_flags that includes the pidfile (which is now provided
>>> by
>>> the startup script and shouldn't be set in ntpd_flags).
>>>
>>> If all of that is the wrong guess, let me know and we'll figure it
>>> out.
>> that's Ian - that's most likely it (defaults/rc.conf).  i did run
>> mergemaster but i suspect i didn't run it correctly b/c it didn't
>> copy
>> over any files, nor create the ntpd uid/gid.  my buildworld script
>> does
>> a "mergemaster -m $CHECKOUT -a".  i'll re-read the man page today
>> and
>> update my scripts accordingly.
>>
>> thanks again for the bread-crumb!
>> -pete
>>
> There's a "pre-world" stage of mergemaster (-Fp option I think) which
> isn't needed often, but one of the times it is needed is apparently
> when new user ids are added.  (So I've been told, I've never much used
> mergemaster myself). I think there are some words about it at the very
> bottom of UPDATING.

so i was running the "pre-world" mergemaster, but i think what bit me
was relying on the "-a" switch.  after reading UPDATING as you suggested
i re-ran mergemaster like so:

"sudo mergemaster -m $CHECKOUT -rvF"

which seems closer in-line with the documentation.  i had a ton of stuff
missing, which would explain some funky behaviour i've seen in regards
to devd, so glad i sorted this out.

as someone RW mentions later in this thread, it would be sweet if
mergemaster could auto add users/groups.  i missed this in the diff
during my pre-installworld mergemaster run.  easily fixed - but def
something i'll have to keep my eye out for.

cheers,
-pete

--
Pete Wright