Re: ntpd as ntpd user question

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 15:09:26 -0700
On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 12:14:10PM -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:

> I can't see any way that installkernel would lead to the complaint
> about the ntpd user not existing; that check is tied to the
> installworld target.

My mistake. I was sleepy and in a hurry. The error message was in installworld
and my attempt to adduser ntpd concluded with an error:
Locked     : yes
OK? (yes/no): yes
pw: Bad id 'ntpd': invalid
adduser: ERROR: There was an error adding user (ntpd).
On reboot the old ntpd set the clock and I thought all was well.

The failure is a little surprising, is ntpd a reserved name?

The machine is re-running buildworld/installworld from a clean start,
so presumably it'll halt over the same error again. When that happens,
what's the simplest way to recover? Mergemaster is a big hammer, something
less comprehensive might suffice, even manual editing of files.

There's minimal customization on the machine, basically /etc/fstab,
/etc/rc.conf and /etc/passwd. Nothing else of real value, so if I kill
it in the attempt it won't be a disaster.

Thanks for waking me to my blunder...

bob prohaska