Re: ntpd as ntpd user question

From: Herbert J. Skuhra <herbert_at_gojira.at>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 21:34:26 +0200
On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 06:55:52 +0200,
bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 01:49:41AM +0200, Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 03:09:26PM -0700, bob prohaska wrote:
>
> > > The failure is a little surprising, is ntpd a reserved name?
> >
> > Why? You obviously entered the string "ntpd" instead of an integer when
> > asked for the uid!?
> >

> Sigh...you're right. Must have been sleepier than I thought.
>
> > > The machine is re-running buildworld/installworld from a clean start,
> > > so presumably it'll halt over the same error again. When that happens,
> > > what's the simplest way to recover? Mergemaster is a big hammer, something
> > > less comprehensive might suffice, even manual editing of files.
> >
> > In this case 'mergemaster -p' is enough.
> >

> An example or two on the use of mergemaster might be a considerable help. There's something
> very basic that I don't understand.
>
> What is the correct response to the prompts for this simple case? The output displayed
> is said to be differences, so the "temporary" file's nature isn't self-evident. It looks
> as if the most obvious option is m, followed by eb, but that leaves me editing by hand,
> which is what I thought mergemaster was supposed to avoid.

Yes, first you press m. Then you will see differences of installed
file (left) and new file (right). Then you press either l or
r:

l | 1:	choose left diff
r | 2:	choose right diff

If the diff tries to remove/add to many lines you can:

el:	edit left diff
er:	edit right diff

And if done you can view the merged file (v) before installing (i) it.

I am sure, someone can explain it better! :)

--
Herbert