Re: ntpd as ntpd user question

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 21:28:41 -0700
On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 7:25 PM, Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2018-07-23 at 18:54 -0700, bob prohaska wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 09:34:26PM +0200, Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
> > >

> > > Yes, first you press m. Then you will see differences of installed
> > > file (left) and new file (right). Then you press either l or
> > > r:
> > >
> > > l | 1:      choose left diff
> > > r | 2:      choose right diff
> > >
> > > If the diff tries to remove/add to many lines you can:
> > >
> > > el: edit left diff
> > > er: edit right diff
> > >
> > > And if done you can view the merged file (v) before installing (i)
> > > it.
> > >
> > > I am sure, someone can explain it better! :)
> > >
> > Perhaps, but you've made the essential point. Your reply let me
> > understand that
> > mergemaster does not really "master" the merge, it rather identifies
> > files needing
> > to be merged and then starts sdiff to let me modify files. Never
> > having even looked
> > at sdiff, the learning curve proved very steep. Too steep, in fact.
> >
> > I'm going to try a more incremental approach.
> >
> > Thank you _very_ much!
> >
> > bob prohaska
>
> Your reaction to mergemaster is about the same as mine was when I first
> encountered it very long ago, and re-discovered when I tried it a
> couple years ago. It just seems like more trouble than it's worth, I
> can usually figure out what's broken and fix it by hand faster than
> messing with all the merge stuff.
>
> But, someone told me that if you give mergemaster the right flags it
> can potentially be intervention-free. Those apparently aren't the flag
> or two that're suggested at the bottom of UPDATING. So I didn't really
> dig into that any deeper, but I toss it out there in case someone can
> expand on it.
>
> It certainly makes some sense that it could be done intervention-free.
> When doing other diff-based merges (like 'svn update') you only have to
> intervene when there's an actual conflict between some local change
> you've made and the incoming changes.

It gets a LOT simpler if you use "mergemaster -iPUF" Only those files you
have modified will show up. In most cases, it just zips right by. In most
that it does not, the use of 'r' or 'l' in merge is all you need and always
'r' eccepton lines you have modified, yourself, so you should know about
them.

I should note that 'U' does have a small "race" in it, so it i possible to
get biten by it, but it is very unlikely. Has to do with multiple commits
that touch the same lines in the file in a timing that is out of sync with
your running it. I use '-iPF' because I m paranoid.
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com