Re: [UEFI] Boot issues on some UEFI implementations

From: Allan Jude <allanjude_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 02:20:00 -0400
On 2018-07-13 07:00, O. Hartmann wrote:
> The problem is some kind of weird. I face UEFI boot problems on GPT drives
> where the first partition begins at block 40 of the hdd/ssd.
>
> I have two host in private use based on an
> outdated ASRock Z77-Pro4-M and Z77-Pro4 mainboard (IvyBridge, Socket LGA1155).
> Both boards are equipted with the lates official available AMI firmware
> revision, dating to 2013. This is for the Z77-Pro4-M revision 2.0 (2013/7/23)
> and for the Z77 Pro4 revision 1.8 (2013/7/17). For both boards a BETA revision
> for the Spectre/Meltdown mitigation is available, but I didn't test that. But
> please read.
>
> The third box I realised this problem is a brand new Fujitsu Esprimo Q956, also
> AMI firmware, at V5.0.0.11 R 1.26.0 for 3413-A1x, date 05/25/2018 (or 20180525).
>
> Installing on any kind of HDD or SSD manually or via bsdinstall the OS using
> UEFI-only boot method on a GPT partitioned device fails. The ASRock boards jump
> immediately into the firmware, the Fujitsu offers some kind of CPU/Memory/HDD
> test facility.
>
> If on both type of vendor/boards CSM is disabled and UEFI boot only is implied,
> the MBR partitioned FreeBSD installation USB flash device does boot in UEFI! I
> guess I can assume this when the well known clumsy 80x25 char console suddenly
> gets bright and shiny with a much higher resoltion as long the GPU supports
> EFI GOP. Looking with gpart at the USB flash drives reveals that the EFI
> partition starts at block 1 of the device and the device has a MBR layout. I
> haven't found a way to force the GPT scheme, when initialised via gpart, to let
> the partitions start at block 1. This might be a naiv thinking, so please be
> patient with me.
>
> I do not know whether this is a well-known issue. On the ASRock boards, I
> tried years ago some LinuxRed Hat and Suse with UEFI and that worked - FreeBSD
> not. I gave up on that that time. Now, having the very same issues with a new
> Fujitsu system, leaves me with the impression that FreeBSD's UEFI
> implementation might have problems I'm not aware of.
>
> Can someone shed some light onto this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Oliver

If you are up for experimenting, see if either of these results in your
system booting:
gpart set -a active ada0
gpart set -a lenovofix ada0

Although both of these should only impact BIOS boot, not UEFI, you never
know.

The other option is to try an ESP (EFI System Partition) that is
formatted FAT32 instead of FAT12/FAT16)

--
Allan Jude