Re: svn commit: r336751 - head/usr.sbin/pw

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 09:22:15 -0600
On Fri, 2018-07-27 at 14:43 +0000, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 20:03:11 +0000, Ian Lepore wrote:
> >
> > Author: ian
> > Date: Thu Jul 26 20:03:11 2018
> > New Revision: 336751
> >
> > Log:
> >   Re-apply r336625 which was reverted with r336638, now that the underlying
> >   pw_scan(3) has been fixed in a way that doesn't perturb other callers of
> >   it or the getpwnam(3) family.
> >
> >   Make pw(8) showuser work the same with or without -R  for non-root
> >   users.  Without -R, pw(8) uses getpwnam(3), which will open master.passwd
> >   for the root user or passwd for non-root users.  With -R  pw(8) was
> >   always opening /master.passwd, which would fail for a non-root user,
> >   then falsely claim the userid you're trying to show doesn't exist.
> >
> >   Now for a non-root user it opens /passwd, and populates the fields in
> >   the returned struct passwd which aren't present in that file with well-known
> >   canonical values, which duplicates the behavior of getpwnam(3).  The net
> >   effect is that the showuser output is identical whether using -R or not.
> >
> > Modified:
> >   head/usr.sbin/pw/pw_vpw.c
> Hi Ian,
>
> It seems usr.sbin.pw.* tests are failing after this commit:
>
> https://ci.freebsd.org/job/FreeBSD-head-amd64-test/8367/testReport/
>
> Can you help me check this is realted to the new pw code or there is
> anything we need to modify in the test VM setup or running environment.
>
> The related artifacts are available here:
>
> https://artifact.ci.freebsd.org/snapshot/head/r336751/amd64/amd64/
>
> You can use disk-test.img.xz which is a VM with setup testing
> environment.  The build script will start automatically but you can
> ctrl-c to interrupt anytime and run tests by hand:
>
> cd /usr/tests/usr.sbin/pw
> kyua test

This was just an error on my part, the code was wrong and I fixed it in
r336762. This time I made sure the kyua tests pass first.

I had intended to run the kyua tests before and after re-applying my
changes to pw(8). Now that I look in my scrollback, it seems I ran the
"before" tests, then got distracted and forgot to run them again after
and just committed the changes. Sorry about the breakage.

-- Ian