Re: PR backlog (was: [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver)

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 22:25:10 -0500
On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 03:49:46PM -0500 I heard the voice of
Mark Linimon, and lo! it spake thus:

> We do slightly better turning over ports PRs -- due to the fact that
> we attach a maintainer field to each port.  This doesn't completely
> solve the problem, but it goes some distance.

>From my perspective as a maintainer of some and occasional contributor
to others, I think "slightly" undersells it a bit; hardly without
exception, but it generally works OK.

I wrote up a couple more paragraphs about why I think it happens and
what we'd need to do to import more of that sense over into src.  But
it was way longer than it needs to be.  We get a lot more man-hours in
ports/ acting as conduits for the "outside patches -> svn" pipeline
because the incentives are rigged.  A bad outside contribution brought
into ports more often yields "hey, you should have noticed" to the
committer and more opprobrium back to the submitter.  A bad outside
contribution brought into src falls all over the commiter.

Not entirely unreasonable, since a lot of even small-ish breakages in
src are much bigger deals than even large-ish breakages in ports.  But
it still makes it expensive to contemplate being a conduit...

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net