Re: PR backlog (was: [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver)

From: Mark Linimon <linimon_at_lonesome.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 05:31:50 -0500
On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 09:04:25PM -0700, K. Macy wrote:
> This is where culling older bug reports comes in.

Well, even with doing that, the sheer number really doesn't help the
S/N that much.  It may make someone a bit neurotic like me feel a bit
better, but that's all.

> However, when I've tried wading through the bug system to find things
> that I might be able to fix, I have not found it easy at all.

To me, reasoning about 'search' is the riqht direction to go.  (Apologies
to folks for the long URLs, but I would rather not hide the search terms
here.)

We've been inconsistent about applying the 'patch-ready' tag to indicate
something is ready to go, but here's the current list for the Base System:

  https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?keywords=patch-ready&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=232422&product=Base%20System&query_format=advanced&resolution=---

8 bugs.  Not that bad.

The 'patch' tag by itself produces a much less satisfying result:

  https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?keywords=patch&keywords_type=allwords&limit=0&list_id=232422&order=bug_id%20DESC&product=Base%20System&query_format=advanced&resolution=---

600 bugs.  Moderately overwhelming.

Narrowing it down to just the 'kern' component only helps a little:

  https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?component=kern&keywords=patch&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=232433&product=Base%20System&query_format=advanced&resolution=---

300 bugs.

Looking for tag 'regression' within that is more satisfying:

  https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?component=kern&keywords=regression&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=232433&product=Base%20System&query_format=advanced&resolution=---

82 bugs.

tl:dr; expecting any sane person to 'browse' thousands of entries of
any kind from _any_ kind of list, is itself madness.  OTOH myself, and
koobs and others, are willing to work on the search metadata to at
least make 'search' reasonable.

[obv. disclaimer: I am only citing statistics for Bugzilla here, not
Phabricator; I simply know it better.]

mcl