Re: how to deal with variable set but not used warnings?

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 11:48:15 +0000
Matthew Macy wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 2:40 PM, Theron <theron.tarigo_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 4. Disable the stupid warning in the Makefile / build system. If you don't
>>> care, and there's a good reason for what you are doing (sounds like there
>>> is), better to just disable the warning as so much useless noise.
>>>
>>> Warner
>>> freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org mailing list
>>> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
>>> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe_at_freebsd.org"
>>
>> Or possibly, alongside a comment as in (3), use one of these:
>> 5 - Disable warning pragma -
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Diagnostic-Pragmas.html
>> 6 - Use __attribute__((unused)) -
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Common-Variable-Attributes.html#Common-Variable-Attributes
>

>There is already an __unused alias for #6. It's what I've used to
>annotate variables that are only used by INVARIANTS builds. It
>legitimately finds a bunch of dead code. However, 90+% of the
>instances of the warning are not interesting.
Ok. I didn't realize that __unused would work for this case of "set but not used"
but I just tried it on the older gcc48 I have lying around and it worked.
(clang doesn't seem to warn or care about these cases.)

I may use this, since I avoid messing with the make files like the plague.

Thanks, rick