Re: freebsd bhyve instance does not show kernel messages after boot screen

From: tech-lists <tech-lists_at_zyxst.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 11:35:03 +0100
On 14/06/2018 23:26, David P. Discher wrote:
> Try in /boot/loader.conf of the VM :
>
> console=userboot
>
> or after beastie drop to loader OK promot  and try :
>
> set console=userboot
>
> I think 11.x should fall back to userboot in bhyve if vidconsole of
> comconsole were set.
>
> (This is assuming non-EFI booting - using bhyveloader ).

Hi,

Thanks for trying to help. I tried it both ways - in loader.conf and
from the loader prompt but unfortunately it didn't work. For
clarification, here's the exact way I start the VM:

1. $ screen -S fbsd11-vm
2. $ sudo su -
3. # (cd to where vm is)
4. sh /usr/share/examples/bhyve/vmrun.sh -c 4 -m 8192M -t tap3 -d
fbsd-guest.img fbsd-guest

If I transfer the VM to a freebsd-11 host (r333874) it also happens. So
the behaviour is a property of the VM. Unless of course the issue is
with bhyve itself on both -stable and -current.

A possible clue (but I'm really out of my depth here) is ISTR something
like this happening if say the VM is called say fbsd-guest and is then
subsequently launched with some other name like fbsd11guest.

Any ideas?

thanks,
--
J.