Re: A head buildworld race visible in the ci.freebsd.org build history

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 18:46:41 -0700
On 2018-Jun-18, at 6:03 PM, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 2018-Jun-18, at 4:08 PM, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> On 6/18/2018 3:27 PM, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
>>> ranlib -D libpcap.a
>>> ranlib: fatal: Failed to open 'libpcap.a'
>>
>> Where is this error even coming from? It's not in the usr.bin/ar code
>> and ranlib does not cause it.
>>
>> # ranlib -D uh
>> ranlib: warning: uh: no such file
>
> A more complete sequence is (with some
> other text mixed in, as in where I got
> the text from on ci.freebsd.org):
>
> --- libvgl.a ---
> building static vgl library
> ar -crD libvgl.a `NM='nm' NMFLAGS=''  lorder main.o simple.o bitmap.o text.o mouse.o keyboard.o  | tsort -q`
> --- all_subdir_lib/libsysdecode ---
> ranlib -D libsysdecode.a
> --- all_subdir_lib/libvgl ---
> ranlib -D libvgl.a
> ranlib: fatal: Failed to open 'libvgl.a'
> --- all_subdir_lib/libsysdecode ---
> ranlib: fatal: Failed to open 'libsysdecode.a'
> --- all_subdir_lib/libvgl ---
> *** [libvgl.a] Error code 70
>
> So, in essence,
>
> ar -crD libvgl.a `NM='nm' NMFLAGS=''  lorder main.o simple.o bitmap.o text.o mouse.o keyboard.o  | tsort -q`
> ranlib -D libvgl.a
> ranlib: fatal: Failed to open 'libvgl.a'
>
> It is not obvious to me that the "Failed to open" means
> that there was "no such file". Might there be some other
> form of "Failed to open" for a file that does exist from
> the ar at least having created its output .a file?

Also, if what varies is the head system version (for failing vs.
working) and what is the same is running a 11.1R jail, then it
would seem to be the underlying head system software in each
that matters for the ar -> ranlib sequence behavior, but not
11.1R's ar or ranlib or 11.1R's libraries indirectly involved
--nor in head's ar or ranlib (or their indirections). head's:
unused.

The only parts of head that could be involved are parts that the
11.1R jail does not avoid.

This suggests more basic infrastructure in head to me.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went