Re: Current _at_ r335314 not bootable with Geli and ZFS

From: Toomas Soome <tsoome_at_me.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 23:13:38 +0300
> On 19 Jun 2018, at 21:51, Thomas Laus <lausts_at_acm.org> wrote:
>
> On 06/19/18 14:22, Thomas Laus wrote:
>> On 06/19/18 12:09, Allan Jude wrote:
>>>
>>> We tested all of the changes with the setup in tools/boot/rootgen.sh, it
>>> will be interesting to figure out what went wrong with your setup, and
>>> add it as a test case to prevent this in the future.
>>>
>>> The recent changes are:
>>>
>>> r335245 (reading the size of the disk)
>>> r335254 (reading past the end of the disk)
>>> r335276 (enable the serial console sooner so the password prompt can be
>>> used over serial)
>>>
> Allan:
>
> It looks like the problem is with r335276.  I reverted back to that
> revision and built stand, my boot problem was still there.  I reverted
> further back to r335254 and everything worked fine.

ou, in illumos side there was an idea of having early boot printouts mirrored to serial, but it got turned down because there is no way to tell if any system has some bad side effects from it… (either directly or indirectly by having some weird device connected to the serial).

rgds,
toomas