Re: Boot freezing after kernel load - root on zfs

From: Ben Woods <woodsb02_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 01:13:29 +0800
On 23 June 2018 at 22:56, Joe Maloney <jmaloney_at_ixsystems.com> wrote:

> Ben,
> do you by chance have multicons enabled with comconsole, vidconsole?  This
> looks exactly like a race we encountered where the remaining output was
> actually being redirected to serial on some systems when multicons was
> being used.  It appeared to be a lockup when it wasn’t because keyboard
> input would also break.

Hi Joe,

Indeed, you are right - I have now fixed the problem! Thanks very much for
your help!

I was previously using a serial console to boot the machine, whereas now I
have an IP KVM.

The lines I commented out in my /boot/loader.conf to fix this were:
boot_multicons="YES"
boot_serial="YES"
comconsole_speed="115200"
console="comconsole,vidconsole"

I would have thought that the boot should still complete regardless of
whether the serial console is connected or not?

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02_at_gmail.com