Re: Strange ARC/Swap/CPU on yesterday's -CURRENT

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 17:13:13 -0500
On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 10:43:58AM -1000 I heard the voice of
Jeff Roberson, and lo! it spake thus:

> First, I would like to identify whether the wired memory is in the
> buffer cache.  Can those of you that have a repro look at sysctl
> vfs.bufspace and tell me if that accounts for the bulk of your wired
> memory usage?  I'm wondering if a job ran that pulled in all of the
> bufs from your root disk and filled up the buffer cache which
> doesn't have a back-pressure mechanism.

If by "root disk", you mean the one that isn't ZFS, that wouldn't
touch anything here; apart from a md-backed UFS /tmp and some NFS
mounts, everything on my system is ZFS.

I believe vfs.bufspace is what shows up as "Buf" on top?  I don't
recall it looking particularly interesting when things were madly
swapping.  I'll uncork arc_max again for a bit and see if anything odd
shows up in it, but it's only a dozen megs or so now.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net