Re: Strange ARC/Swap/CPU on yesterday's -CURRENT

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:57:01 -0700
On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 08:50:33PM -0700, bob prohaska wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 05:54:30PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
> > bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net wrote on
> > Sun Mar 18 21:09:42 UTC 2018 :

> > > Not sure this is relevant, but r326343 is able to run a j4 buildworld
> > > to completion on an RPi3 with 3 gigs of microSD-based swap. There are
> > > periods of seeming distress at times (lots of swread, pfault state
> > > in top along with high %idle) in top, but the compilation completes.
> > >
> > > In contrast, r328953 could not complete buildworld using -j4. Buildworld
> > > would stop, usually reporting c++ killed, apparently for want of swap,
> > > even though swap usage never exceeded about 30% accoring to top.
> > >
> > > The machine employs UFS filesystems, . . .
> >

> > Sounds like -r326346 would be an interesting kernel to test (the
> > next check-in on head after -r326343, one of Jeff's check-ins).
> >
> > -r328953 was just before Jeff's:
> >

> My intent was to try 326346. Somehow 326343 arrived in its place.
> Do architectures affect revision numbers? I thought not, but...
>

> When "out of swap" problems appeared I cobbled up a custom kernel,
> in the hope that a smaller kernel might help. It has since developed
> that the custom kernel can't boot, but GENERIC still boots. The system
> is now running a j4 buildworld on r331153 with a GENERIC kernel

The -j4 buildworld using a GENERIC kernel crashed at the 1.6 MB point in the
logfile, which is the usual place for trouble. The debris collected is at

http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/rpi3/crashes/20180319/

Being on an RPi3, I'm still uncertain whether the problems seen are connected
to the original subject. If they are not, please inform me.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska