Re: ZFS i/o error in recent 12.0

From: Thomas Steen Rasmussen <thomas_at_gibfest.dk>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 08:20:42 +0100
On 03/20/2018 08:50 AM, Markus Wild wrote:

> I had faced the exact same issue on a HP Microserver G8 with 8TB disks and a 16TB zpool on FreeBSD 11 about a year ago.
Hello,

I will ask you the same question as I asked the OP:

Has this pool had new vdevs addded to it since the server was installed?
What does a "zpool status" look like when the pool is imported?

Explanation: Some controllers only make a small fixed number of devices
visible to the bios during boot. Imagine a zpool was booted with, say, 4
disks in a pool, and 4 more was added. If the HBA only shows 4 drives to
the bios during boot, you see this error.

If you think this might be relevant you need to chase down a setting
called "maximum int13 devices for this adapter" or something like that.
See page 3-4 in this documentation:
https://supermicro.com/manuals/other/LSI_HostRAID_2308.pdf

The setting has been set to 4 on a bunch of servers I've bought over the
last years. Then you install the server with 4 disks, later add new
disks, reboot one day and nothing works until you set it high enough
that the bootloader can see the whole pool, and you're good again.

/Thomas