Re: Testing requested: Hybrid ISO/USB boot

From: Franco Fichtner <franco_at_lastsummer.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 08:50:57 +0100
Hi Benno,

> On 22. Mar 2018, at 7:06 PM, Benno Rice <benno_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> I’ve been working on the ability to create hybrid ISO/HDD boot images for x86, a la what Linux systems do with ISOHYBRID. The general theory seems to be that ISO images have a 32KB hunk of zeroes at the front that they generally ignore so we’ll stick something in there that can handle booting if need be. The cases generally break down as follows:

Very cool!

I ported the patch to 11.1-RELEASE and built an OPNsense image[1]
based on the commands enclosed.

(I'm not entirely sure if the porting was ok as there were quite
a few challenges... but for the sake of testing...)

Bhyve boot: ok

VirtualBox boot: ok (when using extension .iso)

APU1C boot: aborts with "Invalid partition" 3x, then "No /boot/loader"
and then escapes to "FreeBSD/x86 boot" etc.

It's an UEFI style ISO[2] so not sure if this is problematic.

I have other hardware to try and your image, but that's for later.

Cheers,
Franco

--
[1] https://pkg.opnsense.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/snapshots/OPNsense-18.1.5-OpenSSL-dvd-amd64.iso.bz2