Re: IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes -- can't install pkg

From: Peter Wemm <peter_at_wemm.org>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2018 20:02:41 -0700
On Saturday, May 5, 2018 9:47:36 AM PDT Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-05-05 at 08:26 -0700, Chris H wrote:
> > On Fri, 04 May 2018 22:57:52 -0700 <bsd-lists_at_BSDforge.com> said
> >
> > > I just setup a jail from a 12-CURRENT I built awhile ago. It has no
> > > ports
> > > tree. So I'm attempting
> > > to install svnlite. issuing pkg search svnlite returns
> > > The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
> > > Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
> > > Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/
> > > latest,
> > > please wait...
> > > Verifying signature with trusted certificate
> > > pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301...
> > > done
> > > [12current.localhost] Installing pkg-1.10.5...
> > > Newer FreeBSD version for package pkg:
> > > To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
> > > - package: 1200062
> > > - running kernel: 1200054
> > > Allow missmatch now?[Y/n]:
> > >
> > > Umm, what? Should I ignore this error? If so, why is there an error
> > > at all?
> > > I answered no. Guess I won't be able to use pkg(8) on this jail(8).
> > >
> > > :-(
> > >
> > > --Chris
> >
> > OK the only reference[1] I can find regarding this, indicates that
> > answering "Y"
> > to Allow missmatch now? resulted in an ABI mismatch that caused
> > pkg(8) to be
> > unusable.
> > This is on an older version of 12, so I don't have anything that
> > might have
> > appeared in UPDATING. I really need this jail to resolve accumulating
> > pr(1)'s
> > on ports(7) I maintain.
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> The difference between 1200062 and 1200054 isn't going to affect
> anything except modules which are intimate with kernel internals, such
> as video drivers or virtualbox type stuff.
>
> IMO, this new version checking done by pkg(8) is just bad Bad BAD. The
> only control you get is a knob that tells you to ignore any version
> mismatch. There appears to be no option to get the historical worked-
> really-well behavior of ignoring mismatches of the minor version for
> people who track -current.

There was an unfortunate Incident caused OSVERSION handling at a certain
Verizon company that happens to run FreeBSD.

We hit an OSVERSION implementation bug on the freebsd.org cluster today.
We've disabled it across the entire site as it is unusable for us in this
form.

--
Peter Wemm - peter_at_wemm.org; peter_at_FreeBSD.org; peter_at_yahoo-inc.com