Re: pkg, drm-next-kmod and base packages

From: Andreas Nilsson <andrnils_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 18:05:56 +0200
On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 5:30 PM, Theron <theron.tarigo_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/10/18 03:45, Johannes Dieterich wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Wednesday, May 9, 2018, Boris Samorodov wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I use self-built base packages. How can I test/use drm-next-kmod?
>>> Packages for kernel and drm-nex-kmod are in conflict:
>>> -----
>>> Checking integrity... done (1 conflicting)
>>>    - drm-next-kmod-4.11.g20180224 [FreeBSD] conflicts with
>>> FreeBSD-kernel-pkg64x-12.0.s20180509041454 [installed] on
>>> /boot/modules/drm.ko
>>> Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
>>> -----
>>>
>> Since I don't have a system with pkgbase configured, is there a way to
>> figure out what files conflict?
>>
> The pkg output indicates that /boot/modules/drm.ko is the conflicting file.
>
>> It surprises me that there are any since we do not override anything
>> normally (some kernel modules are indeed overlapping but they get installed
>> in different directories).
>>
> On a non-pkgbase -CURRENT system, drm.ko and drm2.ko from base are in
> /boot/kernel/, while drm.ko from drm-stable-kmod is in /boot/modules/.  Any
> kernel modules from base being placed outside of /boot/kernel is not what I
> would expect for a non-pkgbase system; is there a reason pkgbase should not
> follow this rule?
>
> Theron

I recently converted my system to pkgbase, but I have no such package as
FreeBSD-kernel-pkg64x. How  and from where did you get the sources?

I seem to remember that the git repo FreeBSDDesktop
<https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop>/freebsd-base-graphics
<https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics> shipped the
module in /boot/modules. If you are using that git repo, you do not need
the port.

Best regards
Andreas