Re: [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver

From: K. Macy <kmacy_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 14:56:55 -0700

> it makes me giggle that people still think non-amd64 is "legacy".
>
> i386 is alive and well - new chips are being fabbed based on the 586
> design with pci-e slots; not to mention things like the Talos and
> AmigaOne for PowerPC.

DRM2 doesn't support anything later than mid-Haswell. The chips in
question all pre-date 2007. Users of low-volume hardware on chips from
that period are welcome to continue to sustain themselves on the drm2
port just as the other 95+% of the user base will use what is now
referred to as drm-next. Even by powerpc maintainers' admission DRM2
also only barely works there. I've promised Justin that I'll make
drm-next work on Talos once POWER9 support is solid enough.

Cheers.

-M