Re: [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 09:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
-- Start of PGP signed section.

> > > The disc1.iso (as well as bootonly.iso and dvd1.iso) images are now
> > > built as hybrid images, supporting both MBR and GPT, as well as being
> > > written to a flash drive (like memstick.img) as well as a CD.
> >
> > To clarify a minor point here, are the amd64 disc1.iso images or
> > both the amd64 and i386 disk1.iso images being built as "hybrid"?
> >

> Only amd64.  i386 does not have UEFI-/GPT-related boot issues.

Here is a data point:

Test system is Dell R710,
First attempt is with BIOS in Boot mode: Bios
Second attempt is with BIOS in Boot mode: UEFI

Attemtped to boot amd64 version:
Screen goes white background, text appears (yes, way indented)
                        BTX version is 1.02
Consoles: internal video/keyboard
_

That last _ is a blinking cursor, system is hung, does repsond to C-A-del

Second attempt:
Works properly

I am going after Ed Maste's posted build image in the other thread now...

> > As this is what I see on my system:
> > root_at_x230a:/home/ISO/x # file FreeBSD-11.2-BETA2-*
> > FreeBSD-11.2-BETA2-amd64-disc1.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector; partition 1 : ID=0xee, start-CHS (0x0,0,2), end-CHS (0x3ff,255,63), startsector 1, 1472695 sectors
> > FreeBSD-11.2-BETA2-i386-disc1.iso:  ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data '11_2_BETA2_I386_CD' (bootable)
> >
> > > MBR support was initially removed from the memstick installer, as it is
> > > not compatible with some UEFI implementations.  (Or, at least that is my
> > > understanding, based on my limited intimate knowledge of UEFI.)
> > >

> Glen

-- End of PGP section, PGP failed!

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org