13.0 failing to boot multiuser on one PC due to system utilities crashing during rc scipt

From: Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 13:08:46 +0100
Hi,

Today I was updating my home machines to recent head, r340303.
Previously I was running r339449.

I have a build machine where I build base packages (and also runs
poudriere). I updated that machine using packages I built successfully.
it is running fine and also successfully rebuilt a full ports package
set on the new head.

After that I upgraded, using the same package set, another machine, a PC
from around three years ago with an i5. After upgrade the kernel boots
fine but when running the rc script to go multiuser some system
utilities fail, especially zfs, making it impossible for the machine to
complete the boot process.

I have tested booting from the memstick snapshot images, I tested:

FreeBSD-13.0-CURRENT-amd64-20181107-r340239-memstick.img
FreeBSD-13.0-CURRENT-amd64-20181101-r339979-memstick.img

and both are also failing to go multiuser. The utility failing in this
case is fsck, which, like zfs before, dumps core.

I see a pattern where only disk related utilities crash.

The 12.0-BETA4 installation memstick works fine though.

So clearly something changed between r339449 and r340303 which causes
incompatibility with my hardware.

I'll to bisect things, but it will be a slow process.

I have put dmesg and pciconf output here in case it could be useful:

https://people.freebsd.org/~madpilot/boot_fail/

Anyone has any ideas? If someone suspects a specific commit I can test
that by recompiling a system with that commit backed out and confirm it.

Thanks in advance!

--
Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>