Re: Graphics open-source-friendliness, AMD Ryzen vs. Intel

From: Greg V <greg_at_unrelenting.technology>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 20:54:07 +0300
On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 3:42 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722_at_twc.com>
wrote:
> I may need to buy parts for a new computer because of malfunctions on
> current motherboard and CPU (Intel Sandy Bridge dating to May 2011).
>
> Question is whether I am better off, regarding
> open-source-friendliness of graphics chips for running Xorg, with AMD
> Ryzen or the newer Intel chipsets.  I know to avoid NVIDIA.

Both are great for open source friendliness in general.

Onboard Vega GPUs on the Ryzen APUs should work fine on FreeBSD with
kms-drm 4.16.

If you're looking for high performance though, don't get an APU, get an
8-core (R7 2700X/2700/1700X/1700) and a discrete GPU (Radeon RX
550/560/570/580 depending on how much you care about graphics
performance).

> I am inclined to run FreeBSD-current and build Xorg from FreeBSD
> ports.
>
> When I boot into UEFI setup, I see the CPU temperature is or quickly
> goes to 97 C and stays there.
>
> I tried replacing the thermal paste and installing a new case fan to
> replace one that had quit, but CPU temperature still shows and stays
> at 97 C.
>
> Now I have a replacement Arctic Cooler heatsink and fan on order to
> replace the original Intel heatsink and fan whose connectors were
> damaged in taking out and struggling to get back in.
>
> Currently, I boot into UEFI Setup, but after a couple minutes, the
> computer powers off and then tries to power back on, then off again a
> few seconds later, until I end the loop by turning off the power
> supply switch.  I can guess CPU overheating.

Yeah, a new CPU cooler should help.

> I could transplant the current hard drive (Seagate NAS 4 TB) to get a
> quicker start software-wise.

An SSD might provide a quicker start too ;)