Re: Graphics open-source-friendliness, AMD Ryzen vs. Intel

From: Johannes Lundberg <johalun0_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 08:21:53 +0000
On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 2:04 AM Johannes Dieterich <dieterich.joh_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 4:48 PM Johannes Lundberg <johalun0_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I have an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (with Vega graphics) and it panics all the
> time
> > with references to various memory access errors (use after free among
> > other).
> >
> > Ubuntu is also unstable on this machine but Windows 10 works well after a
> > windows update (I had to reinstall the previous motherboard with older
> cpu
> > to be able to run Windows update without crash...)
> >
> > From my experience, stay away from this CPU.
> To put this a little into perspective: the R3 2200G is part of the
> most recent AMD APU generation and contains the most recent Vega
> graphics IP ("Vega 8"). It was officially released only in February of
> this year. The most recent DRM in ports is 4.16, which itself was
> released only in April. Problems with the 2200G on "older" Linux
> releases are unfortunately well known. However, kernel 4.18 with
> latest firmwares and BIOSs is documented to be stable on this platform
> (see phoronix, Ubuntu 18.10 "benchmark").

This is not related to graphics. It's just generally very unstable. I could
reproduce zfs uma related panics by scp'ing files to this machine.
Often I get panics in very early boot as well.

I have all the latest HEAD, ports and microcode updates...

Either it's just too soon to run FreeBSD on this CPU (which is why I don't
recommend it yet) or,
I have a bad CPU and/or memory (but given that Windows 10 runs fine this
seems unlikely)...

Configuration:
ASRock A320M-HDV
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XD6SYKD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1>
QUMOX 4GB DDR4 2133 2133MHz PC4-17000 PC-17000 (288 PIN) DIMM MEMORY 4GB
AMD YD2200C5FBBOX Ryzen 3 2200G CPU with Wraith Stealth Cooler and RX Vega
Graphics