Re: 13.0 failing to boot multiuser on one PC due to system utilities crashing during rc scipt

From: Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 18:08:11 +0100
On 12/11/18 15:33, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 11:52:25AM +0100, Guido Falsi wrote:
>> cpu_stdext_feature:     281
>> cpu_set_user_tls+0x2d:  call    set_pcb_flags_raw
>>
>> The patch does produce a working kernel. In fact I'm running that kernel
>> now.
>
> Do you have a bios option called like 'limit max cpuid value' set ?
> If yes, try to disable it and see how it works out.

Yes it does and switching it from "enabled" to "disabled" actually made
the problem disappear.

I don't know why I had that enabled. It looks like the default is disabled.

Maybe I enabled it sometime in the past while trying to diagnose
something else and left it enabled since.

So, to fix it for me disabling that option is ok, and thanks for helping
me finding out!

But maybe some safety is still required to avoid other stumbling in the
same problem. Or at least a notice in the docs.

My BIOS presents the disabled option as a compatibility thing for
Windows 95, which could encourage people tom enable it.

--
Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>