Re: Getting value of MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX with 'make -V MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX'

From: Yasuhiro KIMURA <yasu_at_utahime.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 09:18:53 +0900 (JST)
From: Yasuhiro KIMURA <yasu_at_utahime.org>
Subject: Getting value of MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX with 'make -V MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX'
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 01:57:58 +0900 (JST)

> Then is this just bug? Or are there any reason that behavior is
> changed from 11.x to 12.x and later?

To find when behavior changed I bisected head from r302408 (revision
that stable/11 is cleated) to r340439 and got following result.

Order	Revision	Does 'make -V MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX` work?
1	302408		Yes
2	340439		No
3	323176		Yes
4	332305		No
5	327441		No
6	325415		No
7	324362		Yes
8	324940		Yes
9	325181		Yes
10	325295		No
11	325248		Yes
12	325271		Yes
13	325285		Yes
14	325290		No
15	325288		No
16	325287		Yes

That is, behavior changed at r325288. And commit message says as
following.

Add option UNIFIED_OBJDIR, on by default, which moves the default build OBJDIR.

This changes the build OBJDIR from the older style of /usr/obj/<srcdir> for
native builds, and /usr/obj/<target>.<target_arch>/<srcdir> for cross builds to
a new simpler format of /usr/obj/<srcdir>/<target>.<target_arch>.  This
new format is used regardless of cross or native build.  It allows
easier management of multiple source tree object directories.

The UNIFIED_OBJDIR option will be removed and its feature made permanent
for the 12.0 release.

As far as I read this, behavior change of 'make -V MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX`
doesn't seem intentional. So I'll submit bug report.

---
Yasuhiro KIMURA