Re: ipv6/ppp: FreeBSD obtains linklocal on tun0 only

From: Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt_at_burggraben.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 16:59:38 +0100
## O. Hartmann (ohartmann_at_walstatt.org):

> As far as I know, with the IPv4 stack a IPv4 address is obtained
> automatically, so I would expect the same for IPv6.

The fun with "automatically" is that there's more than one way...
DHCPv6 and NDP (IPV6 Neighbour Discovery Protocol/Router Solicitation)
have been mentioned, the third option is IPV6CP (PPP options, just as
PPP-with-IPv4 does with IPCP). I've no idea what your provider does, so...

If it's IPV6CP, make sure it's enabled in ppp (it is by default), and
check with "show ipv6cp".
If you expect NDP, amke sure you don't drop icmp6 packets and use
rtsol et al.
I would not expect DHCPv6 - that's more work to set up on the ISP
side - but if that's what you get, you'd need net/isc-dhcp44-client
or similar (net/dhcpv6 might work, base dhclient does not look like
it supports IPv6).

Regards,
Christoph

--