Re: Radeon HD 7570M: drm: deep frustration with r339186

From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 11:54:08 +0100
On 06/10/2018 10:05, Johannes Lundberg wrote:

> … Regarding instability with CURRENT. When something changes in CURRENT that might affect the drm drivers there's always a delay until the drm-kmod packages have been rebuilt against the new source.

That's fine, thanks 👍

My frustration was less about instability (not at all about any delay); more about the sense that I might not _predictably_ get myself back to a working desktop environment. That sense was extraordinary but :-) I'm not complaining, I know to expect the unexpected with -CURRENT.

> If you're frequently updating your -CURRENT system, it's safest to build drm-kmod from source at the same time. Either with ports or from the github repo.

I built with poudriere but forgot, the jail was not particularly recent. Updating now,

poudriere jail -u -j current

> We're working on trying to reduce this lag but to avoid it completely is impossible when living in -CURRENT.

Understood. Not a problem for me.

----

Incidentally re: suspend and resume, I think I stumbled across a good workaround for the current situation. I'll await a reply from Pete Wright (to my previous e-mail) before sharing.

Best,
Graham