Re: careless commits disrupt

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:54:49 +0200
=?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= wrote:
> Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com> writes:
> > Stefan Esser <se_at_freebsd.org> writes:
> > > You should also delete old files:
> > >
> > > cd /usr/src
> > > make delete-old
> > > make delete-old-libs
> > I just ran that. It deleted lots of stuff. & I'd only run it 2 days ago.
> > I should have run it just before buildworld though.
> > It's not suggested in the top of
> >   https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
> > just at base of page.
>
> That's because you should *never* run delete-old or delete-old-libs from
> a source tree that is newer than your installed system.  It may delete
> files which have been obsoleted by changes you haven't yet built and
> installed, to the point where you may be unable to build and install
> those changes.

Arg ! So obviously true - in retrospect !  Yet I did it.
Could we add a comment to the Makefile please ? It could save others.
Maybe incorporate something from Stefan's (arrived while I was writing)

> In this particular case, it will, at the very least,
> break ssh and svn / svnlite.

(Fortunately I'm running local inside a wall, & always keep
both rlogin & ssh going to insure against foot shooting )

Thanks Dag-Erling !

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant, Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich
 Brexit: 3,700,000 stolen votes in 1st referendum inc. 700,000 from Brits in EU