Re: Good motherboard for Ryzen (first-gen)

From: Greg V <greg_at_unrelenting.technology>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 22:11:56 +0300
On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:40 PM, Eric van Gyzen <eric_at_vangyzen.net>
wrote:
> On 9/21/18 9:53 PM, Eric van Gyzen wrote:
>> I would like to build a Ryzen desktop.  Can anyone recommend a good
>> motherboard?
>>
>> I'm planning on a first-gen, because the second-gen has similar
>> stability problems as the first-gen had, and AMD hasn't released
>> errata for the second-gen yet (as far as I know...I would love to
>> be wrong).
>>
>> I would like to be a cool kid with a Threadripper, but I can't
>> justify the cost, so I'm thinking maybe a Ryzen 7 with /only/ 8
>> cores.  :)
>>
>> Ideally, I want an Intel NIC, ECC memory support, and a 3-year
>> warranty.
>
> Thanks for all the responses.  They were very helpful.  Here is what
> I ended up building:
>
> Mobo:  ASUS Prime X470-Pro
> CPU:   Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core
> RAM:   Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 C16
> Video: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
> Disk:  Samsung 970 EVO 500GB TLC NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4
> PSU:   EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX
> Fan:   Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler
>
> It's running FreeBSD head.  BIOS version is 4018 (2018-07-12).  So
> far, it has been perfectly stable.  No crashes, no lockups.  It has
> been my work-from-home desktop for just over a week now.  I'm
> overclocking the memory a little, but nothing else.  The NIC works.
> The sound works, though I've only tested the rear analog output.  The
> video card works with the nvidia-driver, currently 390.87.  It's
> driving two 2560x1440 monitors over HDMI.
>
> The only problem so far:  I can't get NUMA enabled.  I've set Memory
> Interleave to "off", but the BIOS still doesn't generate an ACPI SRAT
> table.  I'm still working on this.

You won't ever get NUMA enabled.

Because Ryzen 7 2700X is not a NUMA processor! :)

Only Threadripper and EPYC are.

Desktop Ryzen has a "slightly NUMA-like" thing going on, it's
recognized as 'cache groups' in the line:
FreeBSD/SMP: 1 package(s) x 2 cache groups x 4 core(s) x 2 hardware
threads

But it's not actual NUMA.