Re: OpenSSL 1.1.1 libssl.so version number

From: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 00:17:04 +0300
On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 05:45:30PM +0200, Dirk Meyer wrote:
> Don Lewis schrieb:,
>
> > It looks to me like the base libssl.so version needs to get moved to a
> > value that doesn't collide with ports, perhaps 12.  These are the
> > library version numbers currently used by the various ssl ports:
> >
> > 	boringssl       1
> > 	openssl         9
> > 	openssl-devel   10
> > 	openssl111      11
> > 	libressl        43
> > 	libressl-devel  44
>
> The linker will always pick the highest so version of a lib (e.g. libssl.so).
> I the past the base version must be smaller then the port version,

This is simply not true, both static and dynamic ELF linkers do not care
about version numbers at all.

Static linker ld(1) only looks for libXXX.so file and records DT_SONAME from
the shared library into the linked binary.  Dynamic linker ld-elf.so.1
looks for exact match of the library filename and DT_SONAME.

So for instance we have
	libc.so -> libc.so.7
symlink and libc.so.7 has DT_SONAME libc.so.7.  Then -lc causes recording
the dependency libc.so.7 and dynamic linker loads it when activating the
image.