Re: vnet & firewalls in 12.0

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 12:44:45 -0700
I will only discuss ipfw.. I dont' use pf.

On 18/10/18 11:33 am, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> Wanting to get a head start on using 12.0 and vnet jails with in
> jail firewall.
>
> 1. Will Vimage be compiled as a module in the 12.0 kernel and be
> included in the base system release?
it's in base.. not  a module

> 1.a. Has the boot time console log message about vimage being
> "highly experimental" been removed?
>
> 2. Has the pf firewall been fixed so it can now run in a vnet jail
> or multiple vnet jails with out concern for which firewall is
> running on the host?
>
> 2.a. Is each vnet/pf log only viewable from it's vnet jail console?
>
> 2.b. Will pf/kernel module auto load on first call from a vnet jail?
>
> 2.c. Does vnet/pf NAT work?
>

> 3. Does the ipfw firewall still have the 11.x release mandatory
> requirements that the host must also be running ipfw for the vnet
> jailed ipfw to work?
never heard about that..
effectively each network stack can have its own firewall. The ipfw
module must be loaded so it will be 'hooked into' each stack.
whether you use it or not is up to you.

> 3.a. Are all vnet/ipfw log messages still intermixed with the host's
> ipfw log messages?
that is probably the case.  there is no per-jail kernel logging
facility. (Sounds like a good idea!  send patches!)

> 3.b. Does vnet/ipfw NAT work?
last I checked it did.

> 4. Has any work been done to ipf (ipfilter) so it will function when
> used in a vnet jail?
I don't know how many people are using that... not a lot.