Re: DRM: radeonkms … can not be unloaded (kernel panic)) …

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 22:25:48 -0700
On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 1:28 AM Hans Petter Selasky <hps_at_selasky.org> wrote:

> On 10/20/18 3:10 AM, Graham Perrin wrote:
> > On 20/10/2018 00:01, Graham Perrin wrote:
> >
> >> kldunload radeonkms
> >>
> >> – results in a kernel panic.
> >
> > Found, at <
> https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues/90#issuecomment-415859021>
> under 'drm-devel-kmod g20180822 screen freeze':

> time on proper cleanup. Also, the drm module will cause panic if you try
> load load it again after unload.
> >
> > ----
> >
> > Is the principle for -next- the same as for -devel-, should I simply
> _never_ attempt to unload the module?
> >
> > $ date ; uname -v
> > Sat 20 Oct 2018 02:06:21 BST
> > FreeBSD 12.0-BETA1 r339438 GENERIC
> > $ pkg query '%o %v %R' drm-kmod drm-next-kmod gpu-firmware-kmod
> > graphics/drm-next-kmod 4.11.g20180822 poudriere
> > graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod g20180825 FreeBSD
>
> I recommend building these modules from source, /usr/src which match you
> currently installed kernel!
>
> --HPS

This is a really good practice for all kernel modules from ports. If you
build your kernel from source, put them into /etc/rc.conf to define
PORTS_MODULES to always rebuild all modules when the kernel is built. Even
if you install packages for your release, you need to realize that packages
are built against the oldest supported minor release of a major release and
that works or all ports that only have to match system ABIs which remain
stable for the life of a major release. But, while the KBI (Kernel Binary
Interface) usually remains stable, it occasionally does and did between
11.1 and 11.2 which meant that two ports failed when installed from
packages on 11.2 system until 11.1 went EOL this month.

I really wish that the portsmgr team would come up with a policy to
maintain an archive of port based kernel modules whenever there is a minor
release where people who have broken systems can get trusted packages. Some
people are really not very capable of building from ports.
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com