Re: ctm(1) deprecation in the FreeBSD base system?

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 23:21:19 +0200
"Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:
> > The ctm(1) client remains in the FreeBSD base system, although
> > FreeBSD-hosted ctm infrastructure was shut down some time ago. I
> > suspect it is time to remove it from the base system (perhaps making a
> > port).
> >
> > How much use does ctm have these days?
>
> I do not know that other than I do know that I have seen
> one data point in the last 14 days of a user who was infact
> using ctm though I can not associate a username/email address
> with that memory.
>
> A search of the last 30 days of _at_freebsd.org public mail
> may yield a hit.

A fair guess, but it wouldn't indicate CTM usage well,
as we only use the ctm_at_ list to discuss if something breaks,
or to warn if a server will go out for maintenance.

more misleading still: the ctm-announce_at_ list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/ctm-announce
hasnt been used in years, because Stephen doesnt have
write access to it. I did write someone years back asking that
Stephen be given write access, but it slipped between the cracks.
If anyone fixes that to give Stephen Montgomery Smith write access to
ctm-announce, it would be nice if you consider giving me write access too to
ctm-announce_at_ as I occasionaly announce server outages eg
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/ctm-users/2018-September/000526.html

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant, Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich.
 Brexit referendum stole 3,700,000 Brits votes abroad, inc. 700,000 in EU.