Re: ctm(1) deprecation in the FreeBSD base system?

From: Stefan Esser <se_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 20:18:01 +0200
Am 23.10.18 um 19:06 schrieb Warner Losh:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 10:44 AM Stefan Esser <se_at_freebsd.org
> <mailto:se_at_freebsd.org>> wrote:
>
>     Am 23.10.18 um 17:27 schrieb Montgomery-Smith, Stephen:
>     > I have no problem turning ctm into a port.  But I would appreciate
>     > advice on whether there is a standard or easy process for converting
>     > software from the FreeBSD base to a port.  If not, I can muddle my way
>     > through it.  But give me some time (a few months) to get it done,
>     > because the rest of my life is making heavy demands on me right now.
>
>     Hi Stephen,
>
>     I could spend a few hours to perform the conversion to a port and to
>     test it. I've a happy CTM user, many years ago, and I can understand
>     that it still may be useful in special situations.
>
>     The source archive will need to be hosted somewhere. Do you have a
>     preference (e.g., on a FreeBSD server, or on Github, Gitlab, ...)?
>

> It's trivial to setup a new repository on github.com/freebsd/ctm
> <http://github.com/freebsd/ctm> for this purpose. With the right magic, we
> could even retain the commit history.

I have a complete port (in the sense that it builds, installs, packages),
but there are a few details, that should be fixed on that occasion:

1) The man-pages install in man1 for binaries in sbin (--> change to man8)
2) The Makefiles use LIBADD (--> change to use LDADD)
3) The README file contains a reference to CVSUP (--> clean up)

I do not have write access to freebsd on Github, and I'd appreciate if it
was possible to move the files from src/usr.sbin/ctm there (with history
would of course be preferable, but I'm not sure that it is of much use).

I could then push my local changes (required to make the port build) to
the Github repo (or add a few small patch files to the port).

The port Makefile that I have prepared is attached below for reference.

Regards, STefan

# $FreeBSD$

PORTNAME=       ctm
PORTVERSION=    2.0
CATEGORIES=     ports-mgmt

MAINTAINER=     se_at_FreeBSD.org
COMMENT=        Create, receive, and apply FreeBSD source updates per mail

LICENSE=        Beerware
LICENSE_NAME=   Beerware
LICENSE_TEXT=   "THE BEER-WARE LICENSE" (Revision 42): \
                <phk_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote this file.  As long as you retain this
notice you \
                can do whatever you want with this stuff. If we meet some day,
and you think \
                this stuff is worth it, you can buy me a beer in return.
Poul-Henning Kamp
LICENSE_PERMS=  dist-mirror dist-sell pkg-mirror pkg-sell auto-accept

USES=           tar:txz

#USE_GITHUB=    yes

#GH_ACCOUNT=    freebsd

do-install:
.for f in ctm ctm_dequeue ctm_rmail ctm_smail
                ${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/${f}/${f} \
                        ${STAGEDIR}${PREFIX}/sbin
.endfor
.for f in ctm ctm_rmail
                ${INSTALL_MAN} ${WRKSRC}/${f}/${f}.1 \
                        ${STAGEDIR}${MAN1PREFIX}/man/man1 # should be man8

.endfor
.for f in ctm_dequeue ctm_smail
                ${INSTALL_MAN} ${WRKSRC}/ctm_rmail/ctm_rmail.1 \
                        ${STAGEDIR}${MAN1PREFIX}/man/man1/${f}.1 # should be
man8

.endfor

.include <bsd.port.mk>