Re: 12.0-BETA1 vnet with pf firewall

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 14:39:24 -0700 (PDT)
> Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> > On 28 Oct 2018, at 15:31, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> >
> >> Tested with host running ipfilter and vnet running pf. Tried loading
> >> pf from host console or from vnet console using kldload pf.ko command
> >> and get this error message;
> >>
> >> linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/pf.ko-unsupported file type.
> >>
> >> Looks like the 12.0 version of pf which is suppose to work in vnet
> >> independent of what firewall is running on the host is not working.
> >
> > You cannot load pf from inside a jail (with or without vnet).  Kernel
> > modules are global objects loaded from the base system or you compile
> > the devices into the kernel;  it is their state which is virtualised.
> >
> > If you load multiple firewalls they will all be available to the base
> > system and all jails+vnet.  Whichever you configure in which one is up
> > to you.  Just be careful as an unconfigured firewall might have a
> > default action affecting the outcome of the overall decision.
> >
> > For example you could have:
> >
> > a base system using ipfilter and setting pf to default accept everything
> > and a jail+vnet using pf and setting ipfilter there to accept everything.
> >

> > Hope that clarifies some things.
> >
> > /bz
> >

> Hello Bjoern.
>
> What you said is correct for 10.x & 11.x. But I an talking about
> 12.0-beta1.  I have the ipfilter options enabled in rc.conf of the host
> and on boot ipfilter starts just like it all ways does. Now to prep the
> host for pf in a vnet jail, I issue from the host console the
> "kldload pf.ko" command and get this error message;
>
> linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/pf.ko-unsupported file type.
>
> Something is wrong here. This is not suppose to happen according to your
> post above.
>
> Remember that in 12.0 vimage is included in the base system kernel.

Confirmed, if I boot a clean install and issue:
	kldload ipfilter.ko
	kldload pf.ko
my dmesg has:
IP Filter: v5.1.2 initialized.  Default = pass all, Logging = enabled
linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/pf.ko - unsupported file type

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org