Re: Waterfox: shared object "libicui18n.so.62" not found, required by "libxul.so"

From: Jan Beich <jbeich_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 00:26:23 +0100
Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com> writes:

> $ waterfox
> XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/local/lib/waterfox/libxul.so:
> Shared object "libicui18n.so.62" not found, required by "libxul.so"
> Couldn't load XPCOM.

devel/icu major updates aren't ABI-compatible, so each update requires
rebuilding every consumer. This is usually done by bumping PORTREVISION.
As www/waterfox was removed before r482830 it missed rebuild thus still
depends on the old shared library version.

https://abi-laboratory.pro/tracker/timeline/icu4c/

> Is there any easy-ish way to work around this?

Easy way is libmap.conf but it may lead to application crashes.

> A downgrade to 12.0-BETA2, maybe?
>
> (I know, the www/waterfox was deleted but I'd like to continue using it for as long as possible.)

Either rebuild www/waterfox from the last revision before removal or
downgrade devel/icu to 62.1 if nothing else requires 63.1. In the former
case you can also update the port (adjust DISTVERSION then run "make
makesum") assuming no patch conflicts.