Re: github freebsd and svn freebsd

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 19:47:11 -0400
On 4 September 2018 at 06:53, Kurt Jaeger <pi_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> The github repo isn't official, because there are still some
> consistency issues. The consistency problem is: If an repo-copy
> from svn to git is done, how can that repo-copy be done a second
> time and still keep the same commit ids (in the git repo) ?

Restarting a svn->git conversion from scratch will usually generate
the same commit hashes. However, there's an unfortunate point where
the svn mirroring messed up [1] that resulted in bogus metadata on the
manufactured git commit, and all hashes from that point on are broken.
(Ironically this was from a bug in the svn mirroring process, not the
svn->git conversion or git itself.)

Assuming we're confident the issue in the svn mirroring process is
fixed and will not recur we can redo the conversion, with a one-time
change to all hashes from the offending commit on, and they would not
change again in the future.

[1] https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/commit/c5e8194f33abf05314599d63c1e00d01aa354f47