Re: Request for Review: Generate /etc/services from the IANA registry

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen_at_sdaoden.eu>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 17:04:56 +0200
Alan Somers wrote in <CAOtMX2iHph_mS9PBkSaSs+dsjVa9niScQ9-Q-efr5pavf_9tZ\
w_at_mail.gmail.com>:
 |Don't worry Steffen.  Python won't be a build requirement for FreeBSD \
 |even after Eric's patch.  His Python script will only need to be run \
 |whenever IANA
 |updates its database, and the results will be checked into source contro\
 |l.  So for a normal user, there is no change to "make buildworld && make
 |installworld".

I cannot, unfortunately.  I use binary updates and even
preinstalled VM images (thanks for that, by the way).

 |As for Python vs Awk, I too tried to do this with Awk.  However, Awk \
 |can't easily handle things like IANA's representation of aliases, and \
 |it can't
 |easily format the list in the same order as our current list.  Python \
 |is truly a better choice.

I absolutely fail to see what you mean.  The script (which is in
actual use, mind you) generates the desired output except that
comments get lost, but this could be added upon interest, of
course.  It (or a derivative) would have been a good candidate for
/usr/share/misc/ in elder times i guess, too.

 |-Alan

Ciao.

--steffen