Re: Enabling the WITH_REPRODUCIBLE_BUILD knob for 12.0-REL

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 17:39:38 -0700 (PDT)
> On 11 September 2018 at 07:35, Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon_at_dec.sakura.ne.jp> wrote:
> > I prefer releng, rather than stable, to make it default.
> > Binary releases requiring reproducible builds are built from
> > release and releng branches.
>
> This might be the reasonable long-term strategy, but we don't yet have
> experience running through the release process with it enabled. I
> would like to enable it by default on the branch, at least initially,
> to avoid discovering issues only immediately prior to the release.

I wish we had done this before ALPHA1 it would of given us
a larger window to work in.

There should be a set of builds Thursday,
can we get this turned on for them so we
can get at least a build with it before
we branch?  IE, commit this to ^head/ now.

Then once stable/12 is branched we can turn it off
in head so the developers are not disturbed.

And further then once releng/12.0 is branched
we can turn it off in stable/12 so that those
users have status quo.

This I think gives us maximal test time, including
the binary upgrade bits that should get tested between
each BETA and RC build.  And minimal impact to developers
and users.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org