Re: Speed problems with both system openssl and security/openssl-devel

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 03:11:33 +0300
Hello John,

Friday, September 14, 2018, 1:44:13 AM, you wrote:

>> % grep aesni ~/nanobsd/gatevay.v3/J3160
>> device       aesni

> From my understanding of the OpenSSL code, it doesn't use the kernel driver
> at all (the kernel driver is only needed for in-kernel crypto such as IPSec
> or GELI).
 It is my understanding too.

>  AESNI are just instructions that can be used in userland, and
> OpenSSL's AESNI acceleration is purely different routines in userland.
> I would verify if AESNI shows up in the CPU features in dmesg first (if it
> doesn't I'd check for a BIOS option disabling it).
  It is enabled. It is used for sure by openssl 1.1.0 on Linux and bu openssl 1.1.1
 on FreeBSD, but not by openssl 1.0.2 and 1.1.0 on FreeBSD. Problem is,
 openssl 1.1.1 is not used by anything on FreeBSD (yet) and almost
 everything uses system (1.0.2) and only some other ports could use  1.1.0
 from ports.

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev_at_FreeBSD.org