Re: FreeBSD EFI projects

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 08:06:32 -0700 (PDT)
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 5:34 PM, Rodney W. Grimes
> <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
> >>  On 9/18/18 4:11 AM, Greg V wrote:
> >>
> >>  >
> >>  > I can confirm that the kernel already worked fine when booted from
> >>  > 32-bit EFI.
> >>  >
> >>  > I booted an old Mac into HardenedBSD using a 32-bit-EFI build of
> >> GRUB2 :)
> >>

> >>  Was that a 64-bit version of FreeBSD? My understanding is the 32-bit
> >>  FreeBSD boots fine, but 64-bit needs work.
> >
> > You would be hard pressed to find a system with a 64 bit CPU that
> > could run 64 bit FreeBSD that had a 32 bit EFI implementation.
>
> Mac mini 2006 with a Core2Duo instead of the stock CoreDuo (and the
> 2007 model's firmware flashed, but I don't think that impacts FreeBSD).

Yes, that is one of the catagories of rare, a EFI-32 bit system that
was originally shipped with a 32 bit only CPU, that later got upgraded
in the field with a 64 bit CPU, that still runs a EFI-32 bios.
Are you sure the 2007 firmware is EFI32?  I would of thought
since they upgraded the base system to a 64 bit CPU they would
of shipped it with a EFI-64 bios.

> And probably just the 2007 model as well :)
>
> Also, IIRC there were some Intel Atom tablets with 32-bit EFI.

Atom N2xx and Z5xx series Atom models cannot run x86-64

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org