Re: Enabling the WITH_REPRODUCIBLE_BUILD knob for 12.0-REL

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 11:07:57 -0400
On 27 September 2018 at 06:46, tech-lists <tech-lists_at_zyxst.net> wrote:

> So, I want to know where and when each system was compiled.
> Why lose this information by default?

This comes down to the simple fact that our build / release process
does not currently distinguish between building a world or kernel
that's destined for a binary release, and building for a bespoke
install. Right now the release process inherently builds with knobs
set at their defaults.

The original plan would have flipped the default on the branch as part
of the release process, but there was a concern we might miss
something so it was enabled in advance of the branch.