Re: drm2 in base

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 13:15:04 -0700
On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 01:58:26PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 12:01 PM Steve Kargl <
> sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>

> > At the risk of raising the ire of others, but with the pending
> > branching for FreeBSD 12, I respectfully request that drm2
> > remain in head after the branch.
>

> The current plans, which are still being finalized, are to turn off drm and
> drm2 by default only. Once we're sure that all the kinks have been worked
> out with the ports, we'll move to remove some or all of drm/dmr2, but
> that's some months away. Some parts will likely remain for arm, however.

That's good to know.

> >   I have a radeon HD 6450 video
> > card (CAICOS firmware), and have been informed that the hardware
> > is too old for graphics/drm-stable-kmod and that I should use
> > graphics/drm-legacy-kmod.
> >
> > https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2018-September/021680.html
>
> OK.
>
> Well, I have spent a day or so trying to get drm-legacy to work.
> > drm-legacy in its current state is not a drop in replacement
> > for drm2 in head.  Given what I have found and reported in the
> > above URL, I'm inclined to believe that I may have been the
> > first person to actually try to use drm-legacy.
> >

> What's missing?

A functioning module.  See the URL.

/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko may get loaded, but it
cannot find and load any firmware.  Even if one manually
loads the module with the correct firmware, the firmware
is still not installed.  Thus, Xorg shutdowns during
initialization.

> > I'll also note that the warning about abandonware is
> > misleading for older harware.
> >

> The first part is totally true: it is absolutely abandonware.
>
> > drmn0: =======================================================
> > drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the \
> >        graphics/drm-stable-kmod pkg
> > drmn0: =======================================================
> > drmn0: Deprecated code (to be removed in FreeBSD 13): drm2 drivers
> > drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the \
> >        graphics/drm-stable-kmod pkg
> >

> I could add a 'or the drm-legecy-kmod' to the end as well. We do that by
> default for 32-bit platforms.

Thanks.

--
Steve