Re: RFC: should lseek(SEEK_DATA/SEEK_HOLE) return ENOTTY?

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 22:19:57 +0000
Ian Lepore wrote:
>On Sun, 2019-08-11 at 09:12 -0600, Alan Somers wrote:

That's true and explains why it returns ENOTTY. However, lseek(2) is not ioctl(2)
and it doesn't list ENOTTY as an error.
(Just to make things confusing, lseek(2) using SEEK_DATA/SEEK_HOLE appears to
 be only a POSIX draft at this point, so POSIX doesn't really help w.r.t. what errors
 should be returned for this case.)

>> > If SEEK_DATA and SEEK_HOLE don't return the standard "ioctl not
>> > supported" error code and return a fake result, how are you
>> > supposed to
>> > determine at runtime whether SEEK_HOLE is supported or not?
>> >
>> > -- Ian
>>
>> pathconf(2) will tell you.
>>

>Ahh, I wasn't aware of that.
>
>For option 2, lseek() has to not just return the info, but must also
>actually set the file position accordingly, and has to treat offset >=
>filesize as an error.
Yes, this check is done below the VOP_IOCTL() layer for the file system
(using vn_bmap_seekhole() or custom code).

I think the easiest way to implement #2 is create a vop_stdioctl() and put it into
sys/kern/vfs_default.c. It would need to do this check.

Interestingly, I had assumed the discussion would have been between leaving
the errno alone vs changing the errno. I only threw in #2 for completeness
sake.
--> Now, it appears that #2 is the favourite.

I'll wait for more responses before I propose a patch.

Thanks for the comments, rick