Re: HEADSUP: drm-current-kmod now installs sources

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 13:59:59 -0600
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:56 PM Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-08-14 at 12:00 -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> > On 8/14/19 11:06 AM, Kyle Evans wrote:
> > > LOCAL_MODULES="" does seem like a sensible default when we're not
> > > building a native kernel.
> >
> > Unfortunately kern.post.mk has no way of knowing that as MACHINE_*
> > are already set to the TARGET_* values by the time this target is
> > invoked.  Also, the 'make tinderbox' use case is a legit use case
> > that some folks want (for CI, etc.)
> >

> BUILDHOST_ARCH!= uname -p
> .if ${BUILDHOST_ARCH} != ${TARGET_ARCH}
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think it's as easy to compare the buildhost
> running version with the version of source being built, unless the
> build is started from the top level so that Makefile.inc1 sets the
> variables.

We already know MACHINE_ARCH != TARGET_ARCH in Makefile.inc1 and already do
different things based on it. But to be honest, I'd think there'd be times
I'd absolutely want to build them all, and other times I wouldn't which
strongly suggests some kind of knob specific for cross building the
port/pkg-based kernel modules. We could then pass that knob into the kernel
builds which would then not try to guess whether or not to build
LOCAL_MODULES...

Warner