Re: HEADSUP: drm-current-kmod now installs sources

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 14:51:22 -0700 (PDT)
> On 8/14/19 3:40 PM, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > I've lost the original thread, but would the sources in /usr/local/sys/modules get built regardless of what MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is?  And, now that sources may be installed by a port, what is the method for _just_ updating the sources?  Why do I even need to build and install the port?  Personally, I would just rather have the drm-kmod sources just imported into base and maintained there.  If I have 2 or more different checked out base src trees, how do I get the correct drm-kmod to go with them if there is only one /usr/local/sys/modules?  Do I need multiple port trees just to pull in out of tree module sources?
>
> In some ways, installing sources for DRM is a compromise for the fact that we
> can't have DRM in the base source anymore (for various reasons).  However,
> virtualbox is also probably in that camp as well.

I applaud this effort to provide a source compile mode for DRM,
but I think it has come up a bit short on execution with numorious
problems sited.

I too am not real happy that /usr/local/src is going to get
automatically invoked from my some odd 10+ src trees that
are of various WIP's.  I need a way to easily disable this
both on a global scale, and on a per src tree way.

Rather than a default to on with an opt out mechanism perhaps
while we gain experience change this to a default to off with
an opt in mechanism?

Sadly I do not have proposed solution, but something better
than what is there now needs to be found.

Regards,
--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org