Re: HEADSUP: drm-current-kmod now installs sources

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 19:14:35 -0600
On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 6:37 PM John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> /usr/local/sys/modules get built regardless of what MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is?
> And, now that sources may be installed by a port, what is the method for
> _just_ updating the sources?  Why do I even need to build and install the
> port?  Personally, I would just rather have the drm-kmod sources just
> imported into base and maintained there.  If I have 2 or more different
> checked out base src trees, how do I get the correct drm-kmod to go with
> them if there is only one /usr/local/sys/modules?  Do I need multiple port
> trees just to pull in out of tree module sources?
> >>
> >> In some ways, installing sources for DRM is a compromise for the fact
> that we
> >> can't have DRM in the base source anymore (for various reasons).
> However,
> >> virtualbox is also probably in that camp as well.
> >
> > I applaud this effort to provide a source compile mode for DRM,
> > but I think it has come up a bit short on execution with numorious
> > problems sited.
>
> Do you have a reported problem vs a theoretical problem?  The
> only reported problem I've seen is that LOCAL_MODULES="" doesn't
> work.  That and Cy reported a build error from a recent commit to
> head due to LOCAL_MODULES working as intended.

And once it's working like it is supposed too, you can override it on a
per-tree basis. But it needs to be on by default to avoid POLA.

> > I too am not real happy that /usr/local/src is going to get
> > automatically invoked from my some odd 10+ src trees that
> > are of various WIP's.  I need a way to easily disable this
> > both on a global scale, and on a per src tree way.
>
> Modulo the LOCAL_MODULES="" not working (you have to just use
> LOCAL_MODULES=) this already exists.  You can set it in
> /etc/src.conf, in a kernel config, or on the command line.

You can also per-tree settings on a src.conf if you want. Nanobsd overrides
/etc/src.conf and others to set per-build defaults that are reproducible
w/o host contamination, for example. We have half a dozen mechanisms for
managing per-tree settings.

> > Rather than a default to on with an opt out mechanism perhaps
> > while we gain experience change this to a default to off with
> > an opt in mechanism?
>
> It's head, not stable.  We can't gain experience with something
> that isn't turned

Turned off by default violates POLA for people that pkg install the drm
stuff. They expect it to just work, even if they rebuild the kernel. So for
at least the non-cross-build cases, it should be on by default.

People with special needs, like 10 trees, will have to tweak their
defaults. We cannot set the defaults based on that. Most developers have
one or two trees and can easily manage when they are building stuff for
other systems, jail images, etc on a case by case basis.

Warner