Re: HEADSUP: drm-current-kmod now installs sources

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 09:49:10 -0700
On 8/16/19 5:33 PM, Rozhuk Ivan wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 17:23:08 -0700
> John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>>> I use better way:
>>> /etc/make.conf:
>>> # Modules to build with kernel.
>>> PORTS_MODULES+= graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
>>> graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod
>>
>> This doesn't work for folks who use pre-built packages.
>>

> I update mine /usr/src via rsync from other mine server, so any
> changes made by port or me or ... will lost.
>
> Probably there is must be some solution like special folder where
> ports can store some file with port name, that automaticly go to
> PORTS_MODULES on build kernel.
> And probably pkg can do with this something for "folks who use pre-built packages".

That is what this framework does.  Ports install a Makefile to
/usr/local/sys/modules/<packagename>/Makefile.  That makefile is invoked during
the 'modules' stages of buildkernel and installkernel.  In the case of
drm-current-kmod, the port installs sources into subdirectories of
/usr/local/sys/modules/drm-current-kmod and installs a top-level Makefile
in /usr/local/sys/modules/drm-current-kmod/Makefile that uses bsd.subdir.mk
to recurse into those subdirectories.

Currently, LOCAL_MODULES is automatically populated to a list of the
directories in /usr/local/sys/modules and the debate is about when
LOCAL_MODULES should be auto-populated or not.

--
John Baldwin