Re: OpenSSL breaks factor(6)

From: Garance A Drosehn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 01:34:28 -0500
On 29 Dec 2019, at 0:10, Steve Kargl wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 10:46:52PM -0500, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
>>
>> What if the user wants to factor a hexadecimal value which does not
>> happen to include [a...f]?
>>
>> How about recognizing a prefix of '0x' as a way to indicate the value
>> is hexadecimal?
>
> An interested user will need to add that support.  AFAIK, factor(6)
> has never recognized the 0x prefix, and I'm not trying to add new
> features.  I'm simply fixing factor(6) to match its documentation,
> and trying to ensure WITH_OPENSSL and WITHOUT_OPENSSL give the
> same results where applicable.

Well, I'd be willing to do the work to add the new feature, and also
make the commit.  It'd be a nice easy task for me to tackle...  :)

But I think documenting that "hex works, but only for hex values
which have at least one A-F in the value" is not something that I'd
want to draw attention to via documentation.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn  =  drosih_at_rpi.edu  or  gad_at_FreeBSD.org